Hybrid Maserati Alfieri - Maserati Alfieri Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Hybrid Maserati Alfieri

Well, Maserati isn’t exactly coming out with a Hybrid Alfieri. The company is trying to meet the average emission targets by 2020 and they plan to do so by coming out with a plug-in hybrid version of the Quattroporte, GranTurismo, GranCabrio and Ghibli.

Interesting direction they’re heading especially since Harald Wester was caught on record in 2013 denouncing electric vehicles. “If we want a realistic solution then the regulators need to be more honest in how they calculate emissions. Electric cars are not the answer.” He’s had a change of heart since then and the decision was supported by Maserati’s European general manager, Giulio Pastore, who thinks that it’s no longer a choice in order to stay competitive: “We have to do it, it’s that simple. In some countries where it is highly incentivized, they will be a success, in others maybe less so, but there is government and customer demand for such cars.”

Now that Maserati is taking a stance on hybrid vehicles, why not come out with a plug-in hybrid version of the Alfieri? That’s because they most likely want to keep the Alfieri’s sportiness and performance as is. Coming out with a hybrid version could reduce the car’s performance and that’s not something Maserati is willing compromise on in order to meet emissions targets. Pastore stated as much; “What I can say is that we will only electrify our cars if it can be done without sacrificing performance. If there’s a sacrifice, then we won’t do it”.

But if Maserati did release a plug-in hybrid version of the Alfieri, will you be interested?
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 01:04 PM

There are hybrids and EVs that are very capable from a performance stand point. I think it's a lie that hybrids mean you have to sacrifice performance.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Well now that Roberto Fedeli is helping out Maserati, we could be seeing a hybrid performance car. He was responsible for the LaFerrari so maybe he'll bring it with him for the next Alfieri model.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 04:53 PM

It certainly does signal good things. I think more hybrids could really contribute to reversing FCA's fortunes because right now they spend so much buying carbon credits.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 10:28 PM

There's no way performance will be sacrificed, it's common knowledge how electric power delivery is in comparison to the conventional way. There's already examples in the automotive world.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 04:37 PM

I don't really understand why people think that a hybrid would sacrifice performance. There are so many vehicles that are hybrids that are already recording great performance numbers. The question is not whether hybrid performance vehicles are possible; the question is if Maserati is up to the task of engineering a hybrid performance vehicle.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 01:06 PM

It's because the first mass produced hybrids were slow and boring Prius's, and overall people just know them as applications for commuter cars and not anything else, but with the growing presence of hybrid supercars that will change.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2016, 05:45 PM

I would definitly be first in line for a Maserati hybrid Alfieri. Great performance and better fuel economy. Just as long as it's not a hydrogen fuel cell hybrid. I want electric.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatballs View Post
I would definitly be first in line for a Maserati hybrid Alfieri. Great performance and better fuel economy. Just as long as it's not a hydrogen fuel cell hybrid. I want electric.
Would you also consider the Lexus LC500h? It's basically in the same segment and is starting to look just as good as a Maserati.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Maserati Alfieri Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page